Tuesday, June 30, 2020

NY Spelling Bee: DOGHUNT

Grid:

My Genius list:



Real pangram: DOUGHNUT

Fake pangram: DOGHUNT

A search for an escaped dog.

My childhood dog used to escape frequently, and she was so fast and elusive that we used to just let her run around the neighborhood for a few hours, until she got hungry and came back.  I feel like this was a more acceptable practice in the '80s.  Like, if you did this now, your neighbors would be giving you the stink-eye -- Come get your damn dog! -- but back then it was all good.  There were all sorts of pets running around our cul-de-sac.  Now that I think about, I like it better now, actually.  Pets are overrated.  I mean, they're fine, but I wouldn't find if we all dialed back our pet adoration a few notches.

Difficulty: Challenging

This one took me much longer than usual.  I race up to the level right before Genius, and then I got a bad case of anagrammers block.  Finally, I tried UNHUNG and UNTHOUGHT, both of which I would've guessed were not valid, and pushed me over the brink.

Olio: What's up with OUTTHOUGHT being invalid?  It's a perfectly cromulent word, no?  It's in the dictionary.  That was my ace in the hole (10 points!), so I was confusedly bummed when it didn't take.  I even tried it twice, thinking I must have misspelled it the first time.

No comments: