Thursday, June 25, 2020

NYT Spelling Bee: NOHARMY

Grid:

My Genius list:

Real pangram: HARMONY

Fake pangram: NOHARMY

A general term for an ardent group of supporters of an art form, who organize their large numbers to cause coordinated disruption for a political or social cause -- named for hard-core fans of noh theater of Late Middle Ages Japan.  By helping to disrupt the registration of Trump's Tulsa rally, K-Pop fans are proving to be a 21st-century noharmy.  

Difficulty: Medium

For the second day in a row, I saw the pangram within a literal second of opening the game; for the second day in a row it took me a normal amount of time to attain Genius status.  MAMMARY finally pushed me over the edge, even if I did try to spell it MAMMORY at first.

Olio: In any game you play repeatedly, there are little tricks you notice, and one of those in Spelling Bee is to make sure you hit all the variant spellings.  I'm always ready for the quartet of mothers (MOMMY, MAMA, MAMMA, MOMMA, but not MOMA -- that's a museum), and I was sure to hit MYNA(H) in both its H and H-less forms.  My favorite find is ANONYM, because I don't even know what it means.  Ah... it's a form of ANONYMITY; that makes sense.  For some reason Blogger is giving it the red squiggly line.  I think Google needs to update their word list.

No comments: