Friday, June 26, 2020

NYT Spelling Bee: POPPYGENT

Grid:

My Genius list:

Real pangram: GENOTYPE

Fake pangram: POPPYGENT

Chiefly British A quaint term for a man who exaggerates or employs nonsense in his rhetoric.  I advise against taking Mr. Lancaster too seriously; he's a bit of a poppygent.

Difficulty: Medium

GENOTYPE was the first thing to fall, but it wasn't instantaneous -- more like one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand, got it!  From there, I charged up to the brink of Genius level, before temporarily drawing a blank.  After a few minutes, I saw POTENT to finish in my usual time.

Olio: I found out today POOPY is invalid, and it's an egregious omission from the word list.  Everybody who's old enough to speak knows this word, and I mean that (almost) literally.  I'm not sure if it's just an oversight, or if it's an example of the fustiness of the Old Gray Lady.  POOPY has also never appeared in an NYT crossword puzzle.  (POOP has, but never in its feces form.)  I don't understand this vestigial primness.  It's 2020.  POOPY is an everyday word used in everyday conversation.  It's not vulgar; it's not obscene; it's not improper.  Can you check the baby?  She might have a poopy diaper.  That's how parents say it.  That's how normal, respectable people talk.

Free POOPY!

No comments: